The City of Cape Town’s Transport Directorate will extend Belhar Main Road to connect with Stellenbosch Arterial Road. This will address the high congestion levels in the Highbury area and the missing road link between Belhar Main Road and Stellenbosch Arterial Road.
The project will link Highbury Road to the Stellenbosch Arterial by extending Belhar Main Road from Highbury Road up to Stellendale Road in Kuils River.
This project will assist with alleviating traffic congestion in Highbury and surrounding areas, as well as support future developments planned for this area.
The contractor is on-site and has already completed site clearing and will now start with the preparatory works and the installation of stormwater infrastructure.
The construction project is expected to take up to 20 months. Work will take place on weekdays from 07:00 till 17:00.
Up to 3% of the project contract value will be spent on temporary work opportunities to residents from the area, and a further 2% on attaining the services of local enterprises
START DATE: August 2020
PLANNED END DATE: October 2021
PROJECT STATUS: Underway
INVESTMENT: R49 million
SCOPE OF WORK
- Extension of Belhar Main Road in Highbury and Kulis River
- The new road will cover 1.45km
- The new road will be a duelled carriageway from Stellenbosch Arterial to the first traffic circle at Stellendale Road, and thereafter as a single carriageway road
- Construction of four traffic circles
- Construction of surfaced sidewalks
- Installation of streetlights
- Bulk water line adjustments